You may have seen the rising use and popularity of Botox treatments in many ads or blogs in the digital medium. But there are still many doubts regarding the use, longevity, side-effects, and accuracy in their effects. You may be confused and misled in understanding the precise functioning and usage of this treatment. Hence it is key to be aware of all the ins and outs of Botox treatments for being sure before you decide on taking this treatment.
What Is Botox? How does it work?
- Botox is a substance that has been highly used for many years for treating cosmetic issues like wrinkles and frown lines. It is a brand name of a toxin that is generated by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This substance paralyzes the facial muscles temporarily and fades off the moderate to severe frown lines, wrinkles, crows’ feet, and forehead lines.
- A wrinkle in the skin is usually developed vertically to the constricting muscle that is present below it. As the forehead muscles are vertical and lead to contraction, the lines formed will be horizontal. Similarly, frown lines are formed by the muscles that are located horizontally between the eyebrows, leading to the development of vertical frown lines.
- Botox cosmetic is an injectable neurotoxin that is a form of botulinum toxin type A. This is approved by the FDA for treating wrinkles and fine lines. It is believed that Botox is a similar thing, but there are some variations between these products. Both compounds work to fade off wrinkles and expression lines that are formed due to the constant contraction of muscles.
- Botox similarly works on wrinkles and lines by relaxing the facial muscles. When any of these Botox or Botox Cosmetic is injected into the muscle it will temporarily block the nerve impulses that are essential for muscle contraction. This leads to the relaxation of muscles and the fading of the fine lines and wrinkles in the treated region.
- Botox Cosmetic is injected into muscles where there is a requirement of blocking the nerve impulses. This causes the reduction of frown lines and wrinkles and the development of smooth looks. But candidates who have the presence of wrinkles even during the muscles are in a relaxed position, are not good candidates for Botox. They are usually treated by dermal fillers as Botox can lighten these lines to some extent without any significant reduction.
How long does Botox last?
- Once you take the injections, you will see that muscles gradually get numb in a couple of days but full results may take around a week. Some patients will need around 2 weeks to observe full results. The quality and occurrence of results are also dependent on the type of treatment, area, skin health, frequency of injection.
- Along with the above-mentioned factors, the time needed to showcase visible results is also impacted by the appropriate dose of Botox that is given to the muscles. Hence, subtle doses that are given to showcase natural results will last only for around 6 to 8 weeks but harder doses may last for around 6 months. This depends on the expected results and the experience of the injector.
- Due to the chance of these variations in results, there must be a proper equilibrium between the dosage and expected results. There must be a proper discussion with the healthcare expert before the treatment to customize a perfect treatment regime.
- A recipient of Botox injection must have a though consultation to discuss the treatment. They must mention all the medications that are taken currently along with any existing health problems.
- After customizing the exact injection amount, the health specialist will start injecting the Botox into the desired region majorly with a very tiny needle. The number of injections is dependent on the expected results and the total treatment region.
- There will be very minimal pain as it occurs during all types of injections. Still, doctors will apply a topical numbing cream or provide an ice pack around 20 minutes before the treatment is begun. This will help in negating any type of pain that may occur during the procedure, there will be some amount of discomfort after the treatment as there will be fading off the numbing cream effects.
- You will have to go for follow-ups as per doctors’ advice to see if the results are as per the expectations or if there is any requirement of repetitive treatments to achieve fruitful results.
Doctors will suggest some important post-procedure care like:
- Not applying pressure, heat, and not messaging the region for a designated time.
- Refraining from sleeping for some time after the treatment.
- Avoiding strenuous activity for some time.
- Refraining from consuming alcohol for 24 hours.
It is important to follow all these activities to avoid Botox from spreading to other regions and showing up any adverse effects.
Is Botox safe?
There may be some side effects that are linked with the overall procedure like bleeding, pain, bruising, swelling, minor pain. The pain is reduced by the application of numbing cream or ice pack after a workout. There will be temporary headaches that may occur if not injected properly. But there will be an appearance of small red spots from the injection that will look like bug bites and fade off in some hours. The immune system of the body may develop antibodies to the medication over some time. This will make the drug less effective or may cause some allergy to the drug. Hence, there should be proper guidance from a reliable injector in deciding the exact frequency of receiving these injections. You must visit a qualified injector who has ample experience that will decrease the risk of getting any adverse reactions. Also, do not forget to follow the instructions of your health expert.
Your quest for receiving reliable Botox treatments ends at Glow Laser and Beauty. Glow Laser and Beauty Centre customizes each client’s treatment to provide a first-class experience with optimal long-lasting results.